The Torresan family began making and bottling wine at their Happy Valley winery set up by parents Gino and Flora in 1958. In the early years most of the grapes were sold, then in 1962 they went on to produce their first vintage under the name of G Torresan & Sons. In 1974 the private company Happy Valley Winery was formed where the small family business concentrated on producing premium boutique wines for the local and interstate markets.
A dramatic change to the landscape commenced in the surrounding area and what had once been viable vineyard land was becoming a residential hot spot. In preparation for this the ex Palladio winery at Mclaren Vale was purchased which was to guarantee a base for future operations, this winery was to be known as Torresan Estate McLaren Vale.